top of page

Energy standards for new construction and renovation

New construction or renovations for which a planning permit or notification is required must comply with certain energy standards in Flanders. These standards are called the EPB requirements.

EPB requirements

EPB stands for 'Energy Performance and Indoor Climate'. Most buildings in Flanders must achieve a minimum level in terms of insulation, energy efficiency or energy performance and ventilation. Which requirements exactly apply depends, among other things, on:  of the  nature of the works  and the  date of the planning application  or notification.

For new-build homes, for example, there may be EPB requirements for insulation,  energy performance (expressed in a  E-level), ventilation,  minimum share of renewable energy, ... .

Obligations during the construction process

During the construction process, there are also a number of obligations for the client, the architect or the EPB reporter.

Appoint a reporter

Before starting work, you must  notifier  or client appoint an EPB reporter. That reporter can be the designing architect, but also another architect or engineer. The reporter will monitor and report during the construction process whether the energy standards are met. For building applications from 2006 you must also  ventilation reporter  to appoint. The ventilation reporter can be your EPB reporter or another person.

Submitting the declaration of initiation

Before the start of the works, the reporter makes a pre-calculation to check whether the energy standards will be met in the construction project. He includes this pre-calculation in the start statement, which he submits to the Flemish Energy Agency.

Follow-up of material and installation choices

During the works, all matters that influence the thermal insulation, the energy performance and the indoor climate of the building are accurately recorded. In this phase you, as the client, retain the freedom to change certain material or installation choices. If the architect notices that (due to a poor choice of material or installation) the EPB requirements may not be met, he must report this to the person obliged to declare and the reporter.

Submitting the EPB declaration

After the construction work, the reporter prepares the EPB declaration. That's a calculation  based on determinations, specifications, invoices,...  The reporter finally submits the EPB declaration to the Flemish Energy Agency. Afterwards, the person obliged to declare will receive a signed copy.

Delivery of the energy performance certificate

After the EPB declaration has been submitted to the Flemish Energy Agency, the reporter also provides you with the mandatory 'energy performance certificate (EPC)  Build off. That  EPC Construction  counts as proof  whether or not the building complies with the energy performance regulations and states, among other things, the E-level.

Checks and fines

As a person who is obliged to declare a declaration, you can  fine  get if:

  • the declaration of initiation is not submitted (on time)

  • the EPB declaration is not submitted (on time)

  • if one or more are not met  EPB requirements , such as, for example, the  maximum E level .


The greater the violation, the higher the fine.

The reporter can also be fined if it turns out that the EPB declaration does not correspond to the materials and techniques used.


Is it awarded  E-level  of a new-build home significantly  lower than the norm? Then that energy efficiency will be rewarded.

See also E-level


New-build homes in Flanders with a building application since 2006 must  obliged  achieve a certain E level. The maximum E-level applicable to your construction project is determined by the  date of application for your urban development permit  ('building application') or of the notification. The maximum E-level is becoming stricter. New homes must therefore be increasingly energy-efficient.


New construction (or equivalent)                             Maximum E-level
with date of planning application or notification
                   for housing unit


from 2006 to the end of 2009                                 E100

from 2010 to the end of 2011                                  E80

from 2012 to the end of 2013                                  E70

from 2014 to the end of 2015                                  E60

from 2016 to the end of 2017                                  E50

from 2018 to the end of 2019                                  E40

2020                                                E35

2021                                                E30


Also for a  major energetic renovation  is there a maximum E-level:


Major energetic renovation                         Maximum E-level
with date of planning application or notification
                   for housing unit


from January 1, 2015                                    E90


After the work you will receive an energy performance certificate ' EPC Bouw ' from your epb reporter or architect, which includes the E-level.

Fine if the E-level is too high

If the E-level of your home is higher than the maximum E-level corresponding to the year of your building application, you will be fined.  The greater the violation, the higher the fine.


Premiums or Reductions

Based on the achieved E-level, you may be eligible for certain premiums or reductions.





published by  Information Flanders.

bottom of page